The Civic Holiday long weekend is a chance for many to escape the heat of the city and head to cottage country. While swimming and boating on Ontario’s lakes can provide much enjoyment, the Personal Injury Alliance reminds everyone to keep these water safety tips in mind:
1. If swimming in unfamiliar water, always check for hazards and know the depth before diving in.
2. Children should always be supervised around the water. For very young kids, consider an “always on” lifejacket policy, even on land.
3. Never swim alone. Even adults can experience unexpected fatigue or cramping. If entering the water, ensure there is someone watching from shore.
4. Water and alcohol never mix. Boat and swim sober.
5. When heading out in a boat, ensure that someone on land knows where you are going and when you expect to return.
6. When boating, make sure any children onboard wear properly fitting lifejackets or PFDs. Boats must be equipped with Canadian-approved lifejackets for every passenger.
Follow these safety tips to help ensure this long weekend is a safe one!