Ten important steps to take when injured
If you or someone you know has suffered a serious personal injury, some very important steps need to be taken within the first few days:
- Make sure the police have all of the information they need about the accident.
- Record the names and addresses of involved parties and witnesses to the accident.
- Keep your family doctor informed of your injury.
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible of your car accident.
- Notify your employer or school.
- Record the names and contact information of your healthcare professionals.
- Record insurance information.
- Keep receipts for all related expenses. Family members should also record dates and time spent caring for the injured person.
- Check for other insurance coverage (i.e. through your work, school, or private plans).
- Contact the PIA and know your rights.